Wednesday, February 11, 2009

An Intimate Gathering

Christine Herzer, a poet and visual artist, and friend, asked if I might consider having her read some of her poetry at my house. She lives part of the year in Pune, India, part of the year in Paris, and also has spent some time in Bennington, Vermont, where she is finishing up her master's degree in fine art. I was thrilled to oblige, because I found her poetry very moving when I heard her read at PT's house three years ago. (Or so. Four?)

On display were her little drawings and collages that complement the texts. "Intimiste et charmante."

Many are called...thirteen came. In the photo are Christine with text, and from the left, Alan Smith, who showed drawings here in July; his wife Lennox Morrison, who is a journalist and whose comment when invited to our poetry reading inspired me "I would love to be refreshed by a little poetry..." and me. James Kigin captured the moment with his cell phone camera.

Christine read and we gave her our complete attention. There was utter silence in the room and she read the poems off-handedly, matter-of-factly, gently, coldly, emotionally, masterfully. We asked questions afterwards and shared our thoughts and feelings.

Afterwards lively discussions over a glass of wine and some went on to a local dive, Le Colibri, for live music. Christine and I talked on, and her comment "It's gorgeous how something like this can still happen" made me glow with pride.


1 comment:

Unknown said...

This post absolutely proves your love & respect for artists.. Its simply great the way you just organized it. I wish I could be there to attend it.

Keep up the excellent work.

Devesh